Monday Musing: Finding Time to Write

Written By: Tracy - Aug• 30•10

Another motivator courtesy of Motivated Photos.com

Since last November (the start of Nanowrimo, in fact) I have been slowly working on a novel. At this point, I’ve written about 60,000 words, and I will be finished with both my first and second drafts by the beginning of November. Possibly sooner.

When people ask me where I find time to write, I usually tell them that people who want to write can’t not write. But I’m never sure that I convey what I mean. It’s more that writers place such as high value on writing that other distractions don’t merit when compared to writing time.

Human beings have a large number of distractions that can keep them from writing. Video games, television, moves, the internet, reading (That’s Stephen King’s secret plot to knock out the competition. He keeps them so busy reading the sheer volume of his work that no one can possibly write.)

If you are in high school or college there is the social life. If you have kids, there is their social life (soccer practice, dance lessons etc.).

Writers simply put such a high premium on writing that they either cut other things out, like the television (And really, who is going to care about who won American Idol or whether Lindsey or Paris got arrested again in two years, anyway?), or they fit the writing around things they can’t cut out (It’s called losing sleep.)

In the case of my novel, I simply chose to take 12 months to get the book on paper instead of 4 (and wrote extra short stories along the way). But when you consider that I have in the past shoved a novel out of my brain in 3 months and then spent the rest of the year writing short fiction, it’s really about the same amount of productivity.

***

FYI: Tomorrow’s author spotlight will be Valerie Frankel, Author of the Harry Potter Parody Henry Potty and the Pet Rock.

1. tracy_d74 says:

Yes, to everything you said about the desire to write being a priority. (I like the pic)

2. tracy_d74 says:

16. tracy_d74 says:

17. tracy_d74 says:

18. tracy_d74 says:

19. tracy_d74 says:

20. tracy_d74 says:

21. tracy_d74 says:

22. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

“I didn’t quit” is my general answer. Not that I’m really all that suited to anything else. I’ve naught but art on the brain 99.9% of the time.

23. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

24. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

25. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

26. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

27. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

28. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

29. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

30. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

31. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

32. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

33. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

34. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

35. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

36. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

37. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

38. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

39. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

40. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

41. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.

42. Same with being an artist really. Folks often ask how I get so good at what I do. Especially other artists who kinda gave up along the way.