Monday Musings: Where are all the Killer Bees? Ripped from the Headlines Inspration.

Written By: Tracy - Sep• 20•10

This is actually on a t-shirt that I own.

Generally, I don’t follow the news. I have a Facebook, a Livejournal and a Twitter account, so current events still filter in to me. But I’ve noticed that when news is slow, media outlets will ‘create’ news by making much ado about nothing and causing everyone a good deal of worry over events that get blown out of proportion.

My favorite examples are killer bees. When I was a child I remember that killer bees were in Mexico and they were supposed to be headed our way. By now they were supposed to have crossed the border to the United States, where they would be distinctive thanks to their tattoos, the way they hung out in gangs and the methamphetamine that they sold wherever they went. They would hang out on every street corner, smoking cigarettes and leering at regular bees when they passed.

Whatever happened to killer bees?  I assume that they are among us. Or are they the ones killing out all the regular bees that the media is reporting on? Maybe all the sharks got them?

On the other hand, I do get a healthy dose of current events from the ‘ripped from the headlines’ plots of television shows like Law and Order (Which was just canceled last season once they realized that it might be older than Dick Clark).

Current events can be a great wellspring of fiction. Not just the ‘ripped from the headlines’ variety. A lot of trends in popular fiction come from our fears of the world at large. I personally think the current resurgence of Zombie fiction springs from the way we’re all so worried over designer viruses, gene therapy, H1N1 and other diseases. Look at movies like Resident Evil (and the game series that inspired it) where zombie apocalypses are started by corporations doing genetic research.

In a way, the rise of steampunk is also an outgrowth of what’s going on in the world. Steampunk has been around for a while. Wild Wild West, while not that good, was a Steampunk movie. This weekend while I was at Fencon, I sat on a panel about Steampunk. One of the things that we talked about was how people crave fun entertainment when things in the world are depressing. When the economy was on an upswing, Cyberpunk, Dystopia and Goth were popular. Now, because people are down about the economy, and worried about the problems that have come from nuclear or oil-based technology, Steampunk and the reimagining of a world based on steam-based technology is a fun outlet.

Maybe I should watch the news to become more inspired to write. But who has the time? Instead, I must go continue this alternate history ray gun story that I’m working on.

10. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

11. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

12. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

13. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

14. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

15. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

16. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

17. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

18. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

19. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

20. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

21. I’m actually fiddling around with stuff from my D&D campaign setting, which can be best described as a kind of fantasy Steampunk.

22. bodgei says:

the show Wild wild West was also steampunk – and it was much better than the movie. although I will say Mom lived WWW movie but not the Maveric movie (and my childhood was all about my mom watching those two shows)

I never saw either show. I was only slightly familiar with them.

We actually discussed the WWW tv show on the panel I was on this weekend. From what the other panelists said, WWW stumbled into being steampunk from the premise of ‘engineer in the west.’ They didn’t set out to be steampunk from the beginning.

• bodgei says:

well from what I’ve been told the oringal concept of the show was 1 ep= 1 girl + 1 gizmo

I don’t remember hearing the term Steampunk until the mid to late 80’s – so they couldn’t have set out to be steampunk, but I would say it was a work that has influinced the subgenra.

I never really heard the term Steampunk until probably about 3 years ago. I didn’t realize it was ubiquitous until Dragon Con last year.

• bodgei says:

yeah, I became aware of it in high school – so before 1989. But I was also rased on Westerns, Victorian genre lit (Doyle, Poe, Irving, Wells and others) Scifi and Fantasy. So in a way I was looking for it I suppose.

Heck my mom writes Steampunk, not that she shows it to anyone – after all what she really writes in historical mystery.

I had both a bowler and a top hat in highschool – but I rode side saddle because of an injury and that as our required head gear. Bowler for informal (I had a brown tweed habit to go with it) and top hat for formal (black habit)

I’m sure there was a top hat somewhere in our home for riding habit, although there were a lot more western hats. I see a lot of Victorian and near Victorian that make me think of western shows at conventions these days.

• bodgei says:

I got to say I am pleased that they are adding strech to riding clothes, even the english clothes have strech now. Or I should say the ones we make do.

23. bodgei says:

38. bodgei says:

39. bodgei says:

40. bodgei says:

41. bodgei says:

42. bodgei says:

43. Ha! Awesome pic. 🙂

“When the economy was on an upswing, Cyberpunk, Dystopia and Goth were popular.”

I still label all that hoopla as Psuedo-Goth. A few trips to Hot Topic, some black nail polish, mixed with a little de Sade and Jager bombs, suddenly they’re all experts. :::eye roll:::

LOL! I used to joke that after 3 p.m. all the manikins at Hot Topic came to life and wandered around the mall. This weekend one of the filk artists at the Convention I was at had a t-shirt that said “Real Goths don’t wear black. They sack Rome.”

44. Ha! Awesome pic. 🙂